Sturgeon Lake First Nation Community Members
The four feathers symbolize:
Four institutionalal principles
• Governance, Education, Health and Justice
Four parts of Human Beings
• Spiritual, Emotional, Physical and Mental aspects of self
• East, South, West and North
Four Stages of Life
• Infant, Youth, Adult and Elder
Four Sacred Medicines
• Sage, Cedar, Sweetgrass and Tabacco
Represents Mother Earth, Father Sun and the Drum
Represents providing support to the families, to promote the well-being of children and families.
To promote the enhancement of health and growth and development of children and adults in the family unit.
Represents spiritual protection, carries prayers, and brings strength, courage, wisdom. illumination of spirit, healing, creation and knowledge of magic. Represents great power and balance, dignity with grace, a connection with higher truths, intuition and a creative spirit grace achieved through knowledge and hard work.
Symbolizes the fifteen traditional Cree culture values that serve as a guide for happy and healthy living. Each value is honored in the contstruction of the teepee, each pole symbolizes one value:
1. OBEDIENCE – accepting guidance and wisdom from others
2. RESPECT – for oneself and others
3. HUMILITY – knowing that we are not above or below others in the circle of life
4. HAPPINESS – showing enthusiasm to encourage others
5. LOVE – love of self and love of others, not things
6. FAITH – belief in the spirit world
7. KINSHIP – relationship and bonds with parents, siblings, extended relatives, knowing one’s
8. CLEANLINESS – Spiritual Cleanliness
9. THANKFULLNESS – gratitude for life and for family
10. SHARING – sharing knowledge, stories, traditions for future generations
11. STRENGTH – Spiritual strength to do things that are difficult
12. GOOD CHILD REARING– guiadance and protection of the sacred gift of children
13. HOPE – hope that the women who are the life givers and nurturerers will carry on the teachings
to bring healthy spirited people into the world.
14. ULTIMATE PROTECTION – protection of the minds, spirit, emotions and health of the youth
15. CONTROL FLAPS FROM THE WIND – balance in life’s journey
These are the scared values that sustain the cree spiritually, physically, emotionally and mentally. The first three are considered the foundation of the teepee because a teepee will not stand upright with only two poles, a minimum of three are needed – just as you need a child and two parents to make a family.