Sturgeon Lake Child & Family Services Inc. is a new agency established in October 2008 to serve children, youth and families residing On-Reserve at Sturgeon Lake First Nation. The Agency from the beginning has and willl offer services that are based on the cultural traditions of Sturgeon Lake First Nation. The services offered through Sturgeon Lake Child & Family Services include:
• Child Protection Services
• Foster Care
• Family Enhancement Services/ Prevention
• Urban Services/ Family Finders
• Emergency After Hours Services
Emergency After Hours Services
Sturgeon Lake Child & Family Services provides after hours emergency duty on call services to the
Sturgeon Lake First Nation.
Call (306) 764-4813
4:00 pm – 8:30 am Monday – Friday
24 Hours on Saturday & Sunday
Child Protection Services
The Agency’s child protection services investigate all reports of child ause and neglect. The child protection services provides a range of culturally relevant interventions, programs and services that will:
- Support families who are receiving child protection services to develop the capacity to safely care for their own children
Permanency planning, family and cultural connections for all children who require child protection services.
- Family Services works to enhance the lives of our families and children with respect to their beliefs,
cree culture, traditions and spirituality.
Caring for our Children
- Foster care is to provide a safe, secure, nurturing home environment for the children of Sturgeon
Lake Child & Family Services cases.
- Foster care is a temporary home and allows the parents to seek help in making healthy lifestyle
- The children in foster care receive the support, supervision and guidance they need during the time
they must live away from home.
- Avocate for parents and children in care off-reserve, by attending court, annual reviews,
case conferences, permanency planning meeting and home visits with children in care with
- Family Finders role is dedicated to locating families for children in care off-reserve.
- Court hearings/ Cases
Sturgeon Lake First Nation Website
Family Enhancement Services/ Prevention
The prevention model will enable SLCFSI, from the beginning, offer services with a strong, integrated focu on child safety, family support, prevention and family enhancement services. Families will be supported to safely care for their own children whenever possible. Families will have access to prevention and support programs that will reduce the need for child protection services. Family Enhancement empowers and motivates at risk families to access services that are community based.
Some of the programming consists of:
- Elder’s Advisory Council
- Youth Advisory Council
- SLCFS Family Cultural Camp
- Honoring Father’s & Mother’s Day Banquet
- Grief & Recovery Workshops
- Youth Slow-Pitch Tournament & Family Fun Day
- Babysitting Course
- Crisis Response Development
- Traditional Parenting
- Parent Aide
- Family Mediation Services
- Partnering SLFN Youth Conference
- Caregivers, Child-in-care & Prevention families, Christmas Gathering
- FASD Workshops
- Family Wellness Retreat
- Healing Circles for families
- Pandmeic Policy Plan
- Cultural Programming
- Drum & Share
- Parent Effectiveness Training
- Youth Activities
Sturgeon Lake Child & Family Services Inc.
803 Admin Road,
Sturgeon Lake, SK
Phone: (306) 764-4813
Fax: (306) 764-4817
Toll Free: (306) 1-877-460-7044